Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pesto

Since I was in my teens, I have been making pesto with my mom.  This was way before I knew what pesto was, in fact, I believe it was before most people knew what pesto was! The recipe was from Gourmet magazine, and although I can not find the original recipe, I believe this one does it justice. 

Pesto
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts 
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor.   Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

If not using within a few days, this can be put in containers, sealed with a drizzle of olive oil and kept frozen for 6 months. Makes approximatley 1 cup. 
NOTE: one bunch of basil is roughly equivelent to 2 cups of packed leaves.  Hunt your local farmer market in September for the best deals as the season end.

No comments:

Post a Comment