Monday, November 7, 2011

Bacon, Cheese and Onion Biscuits

I used to do a lot of event planning....and one of the places I looked forward to every year was the Mountain Springs Lodge in Leavenworth Washington...it wasn't just because it is so beautiful, although it is...it was the scalloped potatoes. Little puffs of heaven. I told my friend Laurie, when my time comes, I want to be buried in my blue frilly dress with a cup of those scalloped potatoes...and now, I must add one, please throw in this biscuit! Sorry Laurie, I know you will be busy, planning my party and all...but I really need this biscuit when I go to food heaven. Just chuck one in when no ones looking...thanks pal.
p.s. I borrowed this recipe from browneyedbaker.com the blog site I want to be when I grow up. I just changed the shape of the design a bit...turned it from scone to biscuit.
Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
4 green onions, thinly sliced
10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1-inch pieces
3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Heavy cream, optional**
1 large egg
2 tsp. water
**Heavy cream may be substituted for half of the buttermilk.
Preheat oven to 400.
Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper in a large bowl on low speed. With mixer running, gradually add cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly and studded with flour – butter bits about the size of small peas. Add grated cheese and mix just until blended. (This can also be done by hand: In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Gradually cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in cheese.)
Add green onions, bacon and 3/4 cup of the buttermilk to flour and cheese mixture.
Mix by hand just until all ingredients are incorporated. If dough is too dry to hold together, use remaining buttermilk, adding 1 Tbsp at a time, until dough is pliable and can be formed into a ball. Stir as lightly and as little as possible to ensure a lighter-textured scone. Remove dough from bowl and place it on a lightly flours flat surface. Pat dough into a ball. Using a well-floured rolling-pin, flatten dough into a rectangle about 8 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 8 to 10 equal squares, depending on the size biscuit you prefer.
(and yes, that is a play dough rolling-pin! I happen to think it works like a champ...)

Whisk egg and water in a small mixing bowl to combine. Brush each wedge with egg wash. Place scones on a Silpat or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer sticky in the middle. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment