Friday, February 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce via risataspotola.com!





Maybe I should change the name of my blog to risataspotola.com?  That's laughingspatula.com in Italian!  Now you know what I did with my morning :)
Is there anything you can't find on the Internet?

This sauce was so rich and flavorful.  With only a few ingredients and your trusty slow cooker you can make a big old batch of some of the most tasty Bolognese I have ever had.  Use an immersion blender to create a very smooth sauce, or leave as is if you prefer a chunkier sauce.  Eat half then freeze half for another time. 

I added nutritional information for this, but it will vary greatly depending on the fat content of your beef.  I used 15%.  I think any less and you will miss out on the real beef flavor that it develops while slow cooking.  I buy my ground beef at a local butcher shop.  Ground chuck, really flavorful compared to mega mart beef.  I know, I know, not everybody has the time to go find a butcher...but if you can, you won't be disappointed...and I do love supporting the small business man/woman/person...it's so hard to be butcher PC anymore!
Servings - about 20
Serving size - 1/2 cup
Calories: 146
Fat: 8.7
Carbs: 6.8
Fiber: .4
Protein: 6.7
WW Points+: 4

Ingredients

4 oz pancetta, chopped (or center cut bacon)
1 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
1 large white onion, minced
2 celery stalks (about 3/4 cup), minced
2 carrots (about 3/4 cup), minced
2 lb 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup beef broth
2 - 28 oz cans good crushed tomatoes 
salt and fresh pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup half & half cream

Directions

On medium heat, saute  pancetta until lightly brown and all fat has been rendered.


 Add onion, celery and carrots.  Saute for about 5 minutes or until tender.
Add ground beef and saute until cooked.  Drain all but one tablespoon of fat.


Add meat and vegetable mixture to slow cooker.  Add tomatoes and beef broth.  Stir well. Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours.

Add cream and parsley.
Serve over your favorite pasta!  Mangia!


No comments:

Post a Comment