Saturday, December 8, 2012

Amazing 3 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse!



I went to Phoenix last weekend to spend some quality time with the most influential woman in my life...my Mom!   She is the reason I cook, write and laugh. She is without a doubt the happiest person I know!  How cool is that?

Every morning she gets up and in her beautiful sing-song voice says, "Good Morning Sweetie Pie!".  I want to make it the ring tone on my cell, it just lifts my spirits!

You know that scene in the beginning of Wizard of Oz where the film is still in black and white ? Dorothy's house lands in Oz....she opens the door and there it is, a world of color.  That is my Mom every day. Everyday is magical. Magical, happy, and in full Technicolor!

She is an amazing cook in her own right, but she is also an accomplished actress...yup, my mom is a star! She was well known in the theatre world in Seattle, until she got tired of the rain and took her talent south.  She has been in countless movies, TV series, TV commercials and voice-overs. But her real love is live theatre.  When I watch her on stage, I forget she is my Mom...now that's super star quality!  She has won many accolades and awards, to list them all would be, well, bragging, oh wait, thats what I'm doing!

The one thing I really wanted to do during my visit (besides lay in the sun and swim in her pool), is cook with my Mom. We made made several recipes: Chocolate Mousse, Black Bottom Cupcakes and Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll ups (stay tuned for those recipes). 

We made them all in the same afternoon...she has much more energy than I do, I was done at Alfredo.  My feet hurt, my back hurt and my camera was tired, but my Mom just keeps humming and setting up camera shots.  I kept up, but was dead tired by the time we were done and quickly went to bed, exhausted.    She stayed up and watched a movie with her dear husband until 1:00am...really kids, shouldn't you be in bed?  It was a wonderful long weekend and I can't wait to do it again! 

Back to the recipe at hand, Amazing 3 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse!   If you make this once, you will make it 100 times.  It will quickly go into your most loved recipe file.  It is easy, decadent, and chocolate.  What else can I give you?   My work is done here....

NOTE:  Needs to chill at least 8 hours so it firms up in the fridge.  I was flying home the next day and we only had time to chill 3 hours.  You  can see the slices are a bit...well, let's call it 'rustic'.  It was yummy just the same.

I give this recipe and my Mom 5 stars!  




Ingredients - all 3 of them!
  • 12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. I used one large bag (12 oz) of Ghirardelli semisweet
  • 2 cups (1 pint)whipping cream
  • 1 Pkg (9 0z) chocolate wafer cookies (about 41) - I used Nabisco Famous Brand Chocolate wafers.
Garnishes of choice, Whipped cream, Chocolate stars (purchased mine at Trader Joes), shaved chocolate.
Eight inch spring form pan - (double recipe if using a 12 inch)


Directions
Heat chocolate and 2/3 cup of the cream in a microwave safe bowl on high 1 to 1/12 minutes or until cream is steaming hot and chocolate is shiny (it won’t look melted).
Let stand 1 to 2 minutes then stir till smooth. Let cool about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile put 14 of the cookies in a food processor and pulse until crumbs are fine . Add 2 tablespoons of the cream and process just until crumbs are moistened.
(you can also crush the cookies in a plastic bag with a rolling pin , put in a bowl and moisten with the cream)
Press mixture over bottom of spring form pan.

Beat remaining cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Add a half cup of cooled chocolate mixture.  Using a rubber spatula fold until blended.   Gently fold remaining chocolate mixture into cream, until no white streaks remain.

 

Pour one cup of mousse over cookie layer in pan . Arrange about 9 cookies on top. repeat layers twice ending with the mousse.
 




 Cover pan and refrigerate for at least 12 hours until firm enough to slice. Cake may be wrapped and frozen up to two weeks.  YAY!  Transfer to to fridge to thaw for four hours to thaw before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment