Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cranberry-Orange Upsidedown Cake


I thought this would be one of those recipes that I would  have to make several times before I got it right.  I was thinking the cranberries would be too tart or they would stick to the pan....I was doing my foodie happy dance when it slid out of the pan like butta and tasted just perfect!  A really nice mix of tart and sweet.
I used a tried and true white cake recipe and added orange extract , (you should have some extract in your cupboard from the orange brownie recipe I posted last week:), a bit of orange zest and I substituted 1/4 cup of orange juice for some of the milk.
This is a festive looking cake and really yummy!   
 Make a double batch, keep one and give one to someone you love..awwwww.



 Ingredients

Cranberry layer
2 cups fresh cranberries
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted

Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon orange zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9" cake pan with non stick spray
In small bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar.  Spread into prepared cake pan. Top with fresh cranberries pressing down a bit so they show up nice when you invert the cake later.



Combine sugar and flour with electric mixer, beating until fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Pour over cranberry's.


Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Let cool for 10 minutes and invert on to platter.  (sorry folks, couldn't get a picture of that, my hands were busy!). Run a knife around the rim,  put your plate on top of cake pan and flip over...  cake should slide out easily! 
Serve with whip cream or ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment