Saturday, March 31, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Chicken


Oooey gooey, spicy, creamy, tasty yumminess!    This is one tasty chicken recipe.  You can adjust the heat by adjusting the amount of jalapeno.  I used two large ones but I'm a hottie, what can I say?

Most of the heat of a pepper is in the seeds and veins,  once removed you get a nice mellow heat, coupled with the creamy cheese it's a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I use low fat cream cheese, only because I prefer the texture.  If I liked full fat, I'd use it, it just seems a little thick to me but you can do either.

The recipes that I have seen for this say to ' make a pocket' in the thickest part of the breast...but I didn't think it held enough goo, so I sliced it open all the way down and about 2/3 through the breast....much better! I crammed in as much cheese mixture as I could and pressed down to form a seal.  The egg and bread crumbs formed a nice crust, and I didn't have to use toothpicks to hold it all together.

NOTE: Bake and chill over night, slice and serve cold...makes a great appetizer!!




Ingredients

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (Use the convection feature if you have it...it browns the bread crumbs nicely)

4 skinless chicken breasts
6 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, deviend and minced
1 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
2 eggs, whisked

Directions

Combine cream cheese, cheddar, minced jalapenos and salt in a small bowl.
Combine bread crumbs and taco seasoning in small bowl.
Whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl...(yeah I know, it's a lot of small bowls!)


Make a slice through the chicken breast about 2/3 of the way through. 
Don't sweat this too much, you cant' really go wrong.   Even if you were to cut all the way through the breast, you could make a goo sandwich, cover it in bread crumbs and it would still be yummy.

Fill each chicken breast with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. 


Press down until chicken and the cheese filling find each other and stick...chicken romance...awwwww.
 (p.s.  doesn't my daughter have pretty hands?... and check out the boyfriend bling!)



Dip each filled breast into the egg then press into crumbs, making sure the entire breast is covered with crumbs, this is what will keep the yummy goo from leaking out.


Place on sheet pan that has been sprayed with non stick or covered in parchment. (I prefer parchment)
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment